Verlinden 1:35 Us platoon/Vietnam (0393) 3 figure set and Verlinden 1:35 green beret (2611) 2 figure set… with the size of the base and decent placing of the figures I figured the scale shouldn’t be out of place… I’m not going all out on the details on these just olive drab uniforms( not doing the full camo as on the green beret box) with a little shading and slight detail contrasts on belts and equipment… first figures that I have attempted and I feel the helicopter is the main focus anyway
Sounds good. One tip, Vietnam uniforms were not OD Green. They were a lighter green called OG 107 green. Testors Model Master Medium Green represents it well.
OG 107 Vietnam Jungle Fatigues. The pilot on the far left has on an OD Green flak vest.

Here are a couple Bravo 6 MPs in Medium Green to see how it looks. The M151A1 and vest on the driver are OD Green.

No issue with the 1/35 figures and 1/32 helo. They mix together well since the two scales are close. I mix them all the time with helos, vehicles, and figures. As long as you keep constant scale items (weapons, grenades, canteens, ammo pouches, etc.) in the same scale, there will be no issues. You can even mix 1/32 and 1/35 figures together since people come in various sizes as well.
Also, please don’t use the long-haired hippie from the Verlinden set. He is pure Hollywood. Soldiers still had grooming standards to follow in Vietnam and no NCO would allow one of his soldiers to look like that.
Lastly, I think your base is way too big. I would go with one that is just a little bit larger than the helicopter. That way it is not dwarfed by the base and the focus is the helo, not everything going on around it. Maybe limit your figures to just a few helo crewmen too. The figures you have selected are more infantry figures. I think it would look better with a helo crew.
You could use CMK’s Vietnam Helicopter Pilots set and have one leaning against the helo and the other calling out to him from the side of the base.

And/or the seated gunner from the Dragon Vietnam Helo Crew set (top of pic holding the free M60) sitting on one side adjusting the gun or soemthing, but not in a firing position.

Some ideas.
Thanks Gino… good to know… I’ll change that color later… this is what I have so far… the crew helmets were salvaged from the original figures from the kit… heads and faces carved out… as I decided I wasn’t going to place them in the kit…probably will place them at the feet of a couple of the figures…
Yep I won’t use the hippy… at least there are a choice of 6 heads…
Looks like you are off to a good start. I would paint the pilots’ helmets a darker green though. They weren’t OD either. Not much US Army gear was actually OD any longer in Vietnam.
Cool… thanks again for the advice… btw dark green for the special forces beret… is that correct… and are the boots black or brown… I’ve seen some modelers paint them either…
Yes, SF beret is dark green.
For the boots, brown boots were replaced by black boots in the US Army during the Korean War.
In Vietnam, ground troops wore tropical Jungle Boots that had black leather lowers with green fabric uppers.

Pilots wore black leather boots to protect against fire in a crash. The fabric uppers on the jungle boots tended to melt if they got too hot, not good.

Thanks again Gino!!!
Hi guys
Here is the finished model… with acrylic case.(so glad that arrived I was getting nervous with the helicopter and a 5 yr old in the same apartment… I hope you all like the finished result…
BEDLAM
Knocked it out of the park. Great Job!!
THANKS HUEY…
Well done.
Thanks Lee
Very nice finish. The plaque in the corner is a good idea.
Thanks Sprue…
That is some beautiful work you have done…Cheers mark
Cheers Mark… I appreciate the good vibes… I’m very proud of it… I’m presenting it the Father-in-law on Thursday or Friday… I hope he likes it as well…
ok Guys… Last log on this one… Thank you everyone that contributed on refference on this… big shout out to HeavyArty and Huey… for help on reference… thanks to every one else for encouragment … couldn’t done this without you all… Here is a vid of the final reveal… it couldn’t gone better… The Father in Law isn’t the most emotional person… but I think this nails it… win for bedlam
Way cool!
Bedlam, you picked a great subject…and these helo guys are nuts.
Freakishly astounding depth of knowledge, and a willingness to share knowledge that never ceases to amaze.
I really enjoy watching these builds, and the information they share. I learn so much because of their generosity. Always awesome.













