I can honestly say I’ve never done a real space kit before. I probably wouldn’t have given it a thought before. But I have been watching the Science Channel alot the last few years, and I was fascinated with programming on the Voyager Probes and the Grand Tour. And since I am about 1 year older than the probes, it just felt like an obvious spur-of-the-moment addition while collecting kits the last year.
Added plus for me is that the few build reviews I’ve read/seen suggests that it’s a pretty easy kit and pretty much comes together easily (provided it’s OOB; the PE stuff is beyond my skill level, for now). I just wanted to do something fairly simple and easy to get my feet wet. Lord knows I have plenty of challenges ahead with some of the other kits in the stash. [clwn]
Hi guys, never done a GB but I am working (slowly) on a personal air and space museum in my office. Got this 1/24 Revell Gemini half completed I would like to enter in the GB. I have the Real Space Models and LVM Studios detail kits I’m almost afraid to jump into this. LOL Should be a source of inspiration this winter.
Could I enter an MPM 1/72 X-15A-2 please ? As I’ve just read on Wikipedia '13 flights by eight pilots met the Air Force spaceflight criterion by exceeding the altitude of 50 miles (80 km), thus qualifying these pilots as being astronauts."
DesertRat> I suggest something simple (if not easy) for a Group Build, especially if you haven’t done one before. This Voyager model certainly looks interesting!
Gamera> I understand! But you’re a “steely-eyed, rocket man” and I expect you will not “screw the pooch”. [:D]
WZ2> Welcome aboard! We’ll squeeze you in somewhere between the MGD (Main Guidance Computer) and the CBCB1 (Circuit Breaker Control Board 1) [;)]
Taxtp> Absolutely! That X-15 is more than appropriate for this group build. Any craft that had a Reaction Control System certainly qualifies.
Gary, The Right Stuff Theme you posted is awesome. i just watched that movie again a few weeks back. Your video makes me want to view it again! Just in case there are folks that have not seen it, October Sky is good too.
Well, it’s next to impossible considering everyone lives in different time zones and Oct. 4 begins at midnight (at different zones). What time zone do you use to say when to start? I’ll be happy if everyone on the list checks in on the thread with their build! [:D]
Modelcrazy (Steve)> Would you remove a couple of the GB badges (specifically the one with the “F-15 NASA aircraft” and the “Astronauts Wings”. If I can’t decide on the most favorite, perhaps the “least” favorite would work. Unless you disagree (I leave badge selection up to you).
Steve> Thanks! Feel free to pair them down as you wish (or add). Best thing I can think of doing.
In that vein, we should start a list of best test pilot / real space movies. Feel free to suggest, and I’ll put them into the first post.
The Right Stuff (of course) - The Right Stuff is a 1983 American epic historical drama film. It was adapted from Tom Wolfe’s best-selling 1979 book of the same name about the Navy, Marine and Air Force test pilots who were involved in aeronautical research at Edwards Air Force Base, California, as well as the Mercury Seven, the seven military pilots who were selected to be the astronauts for Project Mercury, the first manned spaceflight by the United States.
October Sky - October Sky is a 1999 American biographical drama film directed by Joe Johnston, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Chris Cooper, Chris Owen, and Laura Dern. It is based on the true story of Homer H. Hickam, Jr., a coal miner’s son who was inspired by the launch of Sputnik 1 in 1957 to take up rocketry against his father’s wishes and eventually became a NASA engineer. “October Sky” is based on the lives of four young men who grew up in Coalwood, West Virginia.
I Aim At the Stars - 1960 The life story of the famed rocket scientist Dr. Werner von Braun, one of the most brilliant and controversial figures of the space age. Dr. von Braun helped pioneer man’s adventure into space through his rocket experiments; his was the brain behind the V-2 rockets which blasted London in World War II; his was also the brain which led America into the development and the launching of space satellites.
Toward the Unknown - 1956 USAF Major Lincoln Bond is captured, tortured and released from a POW camp in Korea. After the war he returns to the US where he is re-assigned as a test pilot at the Flight Test Center at Edwards Air Force Base. The Air Force is testing the new experimental aircraft Gilbert XF-120 fighter. The acceptance of the new aircraft by the Air Force is dependent on successful tests designed to prove the aircraft’s reliability and safety. However, when Major Bond flies the prototype he encounters a problem that points out a dangerous structural flaw. This could threaten the aircraft’s acceptance by the Air Force and derail the whole project. Major Bond’s commanding officer and some of his colleagues start to suspect that Major Bond is imagining things because of his mental condition dating back to his imprisonment and torture in the Korean POW camp. (NOTE: Watch when Holden walks into the officer’s club and looks at the hand prints on the wall of the pilots who have been there.)
Oh gee, ‘The Right Stuff’ is one of my favorite movies. The novel ain’t half bad either!
I feel kinda bad though, ‘Apollo 13’ is the only other movie I’ve seen…
BTW: Right in time a new model of the Buran! I think I’ll try getting my teeny one built though before I considering dropping $71.57 US into another… [:O]
Gamera, I choked when I saw the price for the Ark Models Buran on HLJ. I am hoping it will be a LOT cheaper elsewhere. I’ll keep the hi-gain antenna pointed towards Russia and the Ukraine to detect lower prices. I will transmit any findings your way.
OK all you brave Rocket Men, I’d like to join in on the adventure! Please sign me up for a M2F1.
Steve> “Apollo 13” is considered (at least by Jack Lousma, Apollo astronaut) to be the most accurate space film. It’s not EXACTLY how things happened, but fairly faithful to events.
Much was filmed in weightless condition aboard the “vomit comet” KC-135A. (If I had a KC-135A model, I would consider building it for this GB.)
Gamera> I would wait on the new Buran model, at least until prices come down.
Real G> Welcome aboard, and THAT is a great subject! I sure hope you finish it. Adding you and the MF21 to the list.
Personally, I’d go ahead and get started on it (as long as you don’t finish it by Oct. 4th, you’re good) cleaning off all that flash! I have nothing against people prepping things for launch, as there’s a lot you can do to make things easier to put a kit together. De-flashing, washing parts, making sure fit is A-OK, cleaning off the monkey-poo… [:D]