The Race Into Space GB, October 2018 - July 2019 (Ended)

Not that my opinion means anything, but for conversation sake, my favorites are from the first batch that MC posted on 9/2. My favorites in order of preference are 4, 3, and 6. I like 4 the most because in my mind it embodies the title of this GB. That rocket is racing to space, man. It fits the subject at hand. Just my one cent for you.

Nice pictures guys. They all look good. Thanks for the work done thus far. I hope we make the criteria to launch this sucker because I think this mission will be one for the books.

Updated: 4, 3, and 6. Not 5 a I noted.

Made a correction in my last post.

I am beginning to think that it might be too hard to choose between all the images, and that perhaps we should just allow people to pick their favorite from all of them for their own use.

Saves some time, anyway. [:)]

Gary

That sounds like a good idea to me; personalize the thing. People can use what inspires them. But, I’ll go with whatever.

Yeah, that sounds good to me too. The problem could be that it’s harder to decide when you have a large choice. It’s like listening to one song over another, if you have two or three it’s not a problem, but when you have 100…

Quick question…would Squadron‘s 1/72 Haunebu fall into this category? I got it last year for my birthday, and started it, but put it away after the first couple of steps because Cub Scout season was rolling out and I didn’t have time to work on it…

I would think Gary would say no. It didn’t have anything to do with the actual space race and it was intended as a weapon only (while one could argue that missiles like the Redstone, Atlas etc. were intended originally as weapons only as well).

Was it actually built? I know we found plans for it.

Actually, no plans (original, anyway) were ever found. Nor any evidence that it was ever anything other than UFOologists wild imaginations. If there was even a scrap of real evidence that the Germans had even planned such a machine, I might allow it. I would allow the two-stage version of the V2 as it was at least a concept, but this… science fiction.

At one time I joked that I would build the Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise in olive drab with U.S. Army Air Corps markings to show why the haunebu was not over Normandy bombarding the D-Day landings. [:D]

Gary

No worries!

just figured it was worth an ask…

As listed, here is what I’m going to build.

This thing is BIG!

Holy smoke, over 2 feet! [:O]

Yep! It’s big. I’ve been following Lancair IV’s build (in “Space”) of the Mercury/Redstone using this model. Quite an undertaking!

The only thing bigger is the old “G.I. Joe” space capsule!

http://www.vintage3djoes.com/official-space-capsule.html

Gary

Yup, it’s huge!

But most of the length is the escape tower.

At a 1st look the engineering of this kit looks outstanding.

Okay, just over 3 weeks till launch. I need people to check in with their builds. Those who are already listed are fine, but need the rest to sign in. Thanks!

Gary

Heya GAF!

Not on the list yet. But for my first GB since coming back on, i’d Like to submit the only real space kit I have…

Think ya might be able to squeeze me in?

Oh cool Roger, that looks awsome! I’m sure Gary’s got a little room left.

DesertRat> I think we’ll be able to squeeze you in. [:D]

And that’s a neat kit! I look forward to seeing that one.

Gary

Awesome!

[H]

We choose to go to the moon… September 12th, 1962.

Full speech at Rice University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZyRbnpGyzQ

I also urge those who have not posted a model for their build to do so. Thanks!

Gary

That Voyager will be interesting to see going together.

A very nice selection.