Thanks Huey… And again thanks HeavyArty
The seat situation looks better. A litte too heavily weathered for my taste, but to each their own.
The rear-facing bench seat w/headrests has been an option on the UH-1D/H since the begining. Below is a UH-1D from '64 with original red seat fabric with the rear-facing bench. They were quickly removed to give more space in the cabin. The original Revell UH-1D slick boxing from '67 included this rear seat as well.

Yeah I thought it was a tad heavy…not a lot I can do about it apart from repaint and start again… But it’s my first attempt… I’ll live with it… I’ll know better in future… Just makes look a bit more abused… Lol…
Ok guys… I have just laid down the primer on the fuselage… almost ready to join the halves together… where is it best to highlight/shading ( in flat black) joins etc… before I lay down the OD(.an image guide would be most appreciated)… not looking forward to this masking either… lol …
Hello!
I say no use of putting the primer on before you’ve got the seams all filled and sanded smooth.
As for the pre-shading - our dear Gino here doesn’t care for it any… I like to have my panel lines a little darker, to show places where dirt would accumulate, in the recesses and around the rivets (which are mostly flush, anyhow), and where the paint would start cracking first - while the centers of the panels, nice flat surfaces would be easiest to scrub and would get the most sunlight - so some fading.
Please remember that some dirt from the exhaust would probably be visible on top of the tail boom and on it’s sides - it’s the combination of speed and rotor downwash that put the most of it there.
I hope it helps you, good luck with your build and have a nice day
Paweł
Hi Pawel… yep all seams sanded… about to fit together… fitting together this week then fill seams then sand and primer on seams… as for shading I’ll let Gino have his two cents worth then decide… yep will be doing a wash on the exhaust… and leading edges… thank you for your input as every bit of advice helps… btw only done outside as I was priming interior for a coat of Lt ghost grey to finish interior … onwards and upwards…
Interior looks great!
As Pawel said, I don’t believe in any pre-shading, panel outlining, etc. A real helicopter just doesn’t have any of those artistic finishes, so why add them? I don’t prime either, especially before joining the fuselage halves. That only means you have to scrape or sand the paint or primer from areas where they will be glued together. For weathering, I do it all after the color coat. Usually I add an overall wash of a dusty color, maybe pick out some chips and dings arount heavy use areas, and some darker grey/black washes around intakes and exhausts. That works for me.
Thanks Midnight…
Thanks Gino
Yeah another learning curve right there… ( first aircraft …usually do cars where spraying primer is ok before joining together) yep weathering is going to be done as one of the last things…I’ll skip the panel mark up on your advice… thanks
BTW on a side note… I managed to get some more info out of the father in-law. He said a couple of the birds in his unit (117th Annie Fannies) used to fly stripped… no sliding doors, no half doors behind the pilots ,(sometimes no cockpit doors) no rear facing seats and his bird had no rear cabin seats at all except the gunner seats… they even sometimes removed the blast shields on the pilot seats to run light on some missions
But as I did all that work on the cabin… he’s getting seats lol
Is it me or does that testors acrylic OD seem too light… is it supposed to be that light… is there anything I can do to rectify it ( extra coats/ a touch of flat black)…
It looks right to me for Vietnam OD Green.
Oh good… just checking… it’s getting another coat either tomorrow or Thursday… there a couple of gaps I missed… then a gloss coat for the decals then a flat coat… btw the door guns are gunmetal… is that correct…just hoping my masking is up to scratch. I bet you are getting sick of all these questions… sorry in advance…
Yup, gunmetal w/flat black resin handgrips.


Thanks Gino…
Really looking great. I was never in one that had seats for passengers so it was interesting to see how they would have been. Great work.
Thanks Glenn… I really appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me…
Yep like I said in a previous post my father in-law ran light without any seats apart from gunners and pilots on missions too… but I never found that out from him until I had built the whole cabin…( full details and all) but I spent too much time on the details he’ll have to put up with seats… lol…
Decals have just gone on… just finishing the rotors ( paint and decals) weathering done… I have gone for the used and abused look like the interior… I’ll be finishing off the rotors tonight and gluing them in place ( as this is going to be a diorama in an acrylic display case I’m putting them in a fixed position… ) then onto the Flatt coat tomorrow afternoon… then late tomorrow or Sunday I will remove the Masking ( very carefully) to see if my masking skills are up to scratch… ( fingers crossed)
Any tips on getting paint residue off of the windows just in case…
Memorial weekend up date…first of all thank to all you guys that have served…( and have given me advice over the past weeks )
Ok guys finished bird ( apart from door guns… I had an issue with the handle resin on the Cobra m23 set… bits broken… but Cobra is replacing them this week for free)
I hope you like it… I had an issue with over spray in the interior of windows ( masking wasn’t totally A1 but I can live with it… ) apart from that I’m very pleased with the overall outcome… I just need to construct the diorama base and paint 5 figures… images of that will come later ( but before August … FiL birthday)
Overall very happy with the kit… fit was good, minimal flashing …parts used Revell 1:32 Huey, Cmk seats from cargo area kit(1:35 fits with customisation), Cobra m23, all detailing scratch built…









