Hi all. My name is Derek I’m 73 and been away from modelling for about 40+ years. I’ve just had a double heart bypass and getting back into modelling to help recovery. I am about to start a Meng 1/24 Audi R8 LMS GT3 EvoII to get me up to speed with all the fantastic new gear available. I used to build 1/12 Tamiya F1s and have several awaiting renewing lol. I’ve also got a part built Renault R20 Turbo and believe it or not an original unboxed Lotus 49B that was found in a warehouse in Japan. Anyway, good to find this forum, 10 minutes to midnight here so I’ll head for bed and come back tomorrow. Cheers
Welcome to the forum Derek! Great to have you here.
Welcome to the forum, Derek! I look forward to seeing your builds.
Best regards,
Brad
wow! You are from way down under… New Zeland, on my bucket list of places to visit… Irland,New Zeland and a couple of other places…
Glad to have you
James Esq
I am in North Central Texas
Welcome to the Forum Derek! Lots of helpful folks here, so don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Where in NZ do you live? I’ve been to Christchurch and Auckland, both beautiful places with such diverse landscapes!
Welcome, sir! I thought I had been gone for a while at just over 30 years. Look forward to seeing your work.
Welcome! There are some great car modelers here. I’ve never done one of the Tamiya 1/12 kits but they look amazing. I do about 1/3 autos and 2/3 planes with on occasional oddball tossed in. Post up your builds.
Welcome to FSM,lotsa returning modelers here.
Hi. I live in Alexandra near Queenstown small rural town. I see your “name” is VW (spread out). You might like my wheels (or not) !! 2022 Mk 8 R-Line Golf with many added bits and bobs:
Welcome, Derek!
I can definitely relate to your story. I came back to the hobby after being away for more than 30 years, and it was pretty amazing discovering how much had changed while I was gone. New kits, tools, paints, aftermarket parts — there’s a whole new world of stuff to learn.
I’ve been back at it for a couple of years now, and I’m still discovering things. ![]()
You’ve found a good place for it. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful modelers here, so don’t hesitate to ask questions.
Looking forward to seeing that Audi come together, and best wishes with your recovery.
Welcome from across the ditch!
It’s funny how the forum posts here follow a day of hobby progress, but everyone’s days end at different times. I’m often doing my posts around the same time the Americans are sipping their morning coffee, whereas I come home from work to a barrage of amazing hobby progress from the posters of the Northern Hemisphere
I’m beginning to wonder if you ever sleep.
No matter what time of the day or night I’m on here, you seem to be here too!
I have an 11-month old baby, so no, I don’t sleep ![]()


