So Im in desperate need of suggestion on the best way to hold 1/700 and 1/350 planes and detail pieces. I’ve tried the blutack and it is more of a pain than a help. I ned something strong enough to be able to prime and brush paint but alos removeable when it comes time to place them on the model. I tried PVA and a toothpick and well toothpick 1 me 0. Thanks for taking th time to read this and hopefully give me an idea.
Well, those things are pretty darn small.
I have a new set of stiff stainless braided cables with alligator clamps attached to them for holding parts. I don’t know how well they’d work with those size aircraft – or if they did, at best you’d have to make a go of it in two passes, one side, dry, flip, other side sort of deal.
Maybe a clothespin? Pair of tweezers with a rubber band holding them tight? A piece of stryofoam with a wing stuck into it?
I actually like that idea – I’m spitballing on the fly here – you could use a piece of packing styrofoam and insert a half of wing on one side of the fuselage, place however many you have into a row and prime. Wait till they dry and flip the plane over and do the other wing. That might do you.
I’m one of those, “How could I do it,” sort of chaps and I’m pretty much always spinning with ideas. I might think of something even better a bit later. If I do, I’ll be sure to post again.
One thing I’ve done with really small parts is drill a tiny, shallow hole somewhere on the bottom where it won’t be seen, then push the point of a toothpick into it. You don’t need much of a hole at all—just enough for the toothpick to get a good grip.
It gives you a nice handle for painting, and when you’re done you just pull the toothpick out. No glue to break loose or clean up afterward. I’ve used that method before and it works really well.
Try posting in the ships category. Carrier builds will have a solution for you.