Your list is spot on! I would add C-47 and R4D to the respective lists as they were transporting ammo and personnel in and out of Midway.
As far as the easiest F4F? Tamiya, Hands down is the easiest. I’ve built a number of them over the years. They do not make an F4F-3 however, but you can get an F4F-3 from Hobby Boss which is close to as easy as the Tamiya kit.
I have no idea who makes what until I go looking for it , sorry . I was not insinuating that Tamiya made or didn’t make “model” any of one type or another but was only for example.
The Monogram PBY is a pretty big model, but I have not built it as of yet. I can’t tell you how easy it is, or not. I have seen it built up, and it is an impressive model to be sure.
I can comment on the Tamiya kit being easy, as I have built it a number of times. Same with the Hobby Boss kit, it too is pretty easy. I like the Tamiya kit because it just looks better in the end.
I actually did take a Tamiya F4F-4, and convert it to a -3. It was a bit of work filling in some panel lines and re-scribing others. It was a PIA, but I was pretty proud of myself for doing it, and then one of my buddies told me that Hobby Boss was announcing a -3 “Wildcat” that was about to be released in about two weeks.. That was a few years ago.
Fortunately the navy did have the F4F-4 , so I guess it boils down to the PBY-5A and the F4F-4. I have the monogram SBD but it’s been so long since I built that kit I can’t remember but I do remember Building the PBY-5 and it was an easy build as I remember it.
Not on Midway itself. There were P-40’s based in the Aleutian Islands, the 11th Fighter Squadron, and they were commanded by Lt. Col John Chennault, who was Claire’s son.
They wore a distinctive yellow tiger head on the engine’s cowling. The only thing I’m not sure of, is whether or not they were painted with this in June 1942. These guys were named the “Aleutian Tigers” in honor of Lt. Col. Chennault’s father.
I still haven’t decided whether I am going to include the Aleutians in the build yet. I’m about 50/50. Mostly to avoid confusion. As I write this, I think I will because it opens a lot more possibilities for people to participate, even some armor guys.
That being said. yes, there were P-40E Warhawks in action when the Japanese made their diversionary attacks against Alaska and the Aleutian Island Chain.
I am getting stuff ready to build a Grumman TBF-1 from VT-8. I’m converting the 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures kit from a TBF-1C, to a TBF-1…for starters. I am also thinking of a PBY-5 of VP-23, Lt Howard P Ady, who was responsible for locating the Japanese Fleet on the morning of June 4, 1942. A dauntless and a Val are in line also. We’ll see what actually get’s built, ha ha ha
First of all, why do you have TWO Catalinas? I’ve been seriously considering building my PBY-5A for this group build, so I’m going to need you to pick something else. Otherwise we’re going to end up having a Catalina build-off, and I don’t need that kind of pressure.
And then you have that SBD-2 sitting there too.
I have an Academy SBD-1 and a yellow-box Accurate Miniatures SBD-3, which I bought specifically so that I could participate in this group build, only to discover that the plastic is actually the same SBD-1 configuration as my Academy kit, so it won’t build the Midway SBD-3 that it advertised on the BOX!
I feel you need to commit your workbench assembly area to tools and paints. Not extra kits, as the temptation to pick one off the shelf to maybe twitch around with would be ever so present.
The fuselage might be the same how different is the -1 versus the -2 or -3?
Oft times a variant or sub variant of one craft vs another can just be the Powerplant. I’m not very knowledgeable about navy craft so I leave this to you.
Since this is a year long build I plant to just build, starting with my -3 then my -2 then possibly a Catalina if time permits.
James Esq.
Ps
I’ll go pull the rest of my navy kits to see what I may have but pick’n be get’n slim out there.
Tools and paints are starting to come out , that’s stashed in various places , on the other work bench area, my travel box, in the drawers of the desk much much more.
My variable speed foot controlled dremel is stashed away waiting for my bench to be completed. My airbrush compressor w/tank on the floor, all my airbrushes and other tools in desk drawers
Now that those navy airships are on the shelf I will populate that desk with a lot of my paint and tools just for your viewing pleasure
James Esq.
Ps
If you look at the first acrylic box on the left you will see some of my paint.
Doing a little research, I was right . Physically the -1,-2,-3 were all nearly identical and almost impossible to tell the difference with the eyeball.
-2 had a slightly larger intake scoop, -3 had more cooling flaps around the cowel……
-3 also had a pair of 50’s were the -1 & -2 had single .30’s.
Honestly there is so little difference between the three variants externally that I would not sweat it ……
Build away and be happy ……
James Esq.
The -2 had more fuel capacity over the -1 but the extra tanks were not self sealing and a little more HP and the larger air scoop.
The -3 all the fuel tanks were self sealing, the cockpit glass was upgraded to armored glass, guns upgraded to .50, a little more hp added and more cooling vents added because of the added hp.