Looking for 8 oar Sweep crew racing boat

My grandson/14 has become invested into rowing crew in the last year and half. He would love to have a functional model of an 8 oar sweep racing shell. I have Googled for couple of days w/o finding any models he could build or even 3-D print. He has a Bambu 3D printer but not sure how big a project he can print.

(Maybe I am not very good at Google since I am 78.) I found a metal scale model on Amazon that is over $150–which makes it rather expensive IMO.
Can anyone on this forum give me some suggestions?
Appreciate your time in either event.

I asked ChatGPT. Here is how it responded…

Best lead: a dedicated 8-person racing shell

Cults3D — Eight-Person Racing Rowing Shell & Trailer Set

There is actually a dedicated eight-person racing shell STL available there. The current designer lists it as 1/64 scale, but that’s not a problem for a Bambu printer—you can enlarge the STL substantially. The shell is part of a two-file package with a transport trailer.

The important point is that this isn’t just a generic rowboat. It’s specifically an eight-person racing shell.

Another interesting possibility

Cults3D — “Rowing 8”

This is a free STL for a crew boat with 8 seats plus a coxswain. It was originally designed as a 3D-printable model. It may be worth downloading and examining in Bambu Studio before deciding whether its shape and level of detail are appropriate.

A model that could be scaled up

There’s also a professionally modeled 8-person racing shell available as an OBJ/FBX/etc. model. It isn’t advertised as print-ready, but an OBJ can be brought into Blender, Fusion, Meshmixer, or similar software and repaired/scaled for printing.

For 1/35 scale, an actual racing eight would be fairly substantial. A typical 8+ shell is roughly 60 feet long, so at 1/35:

60 ft ÷ 35 ≈ 20.6 inches long That’s actually a very nice size for a display model and well within the capability of a Bambu printer if the hull is divided into sections.

One thing I would do differently

Rather than simply enlarging the 1/64 STL to 1/35, I’d be inclined to modify the model specifically for 1/35:

  • Make the hull in 2–4 printable sections.
  • Add proper sliding seats.
  • Add the eight individual outriggers/oarlocks.
  • Print eight sweep oars separately.
  • Add the coxswain’s position.
  • Make the hull thin but strong enough for handling.
  • Possibly add tiny crew figures if he wants it displayed as an actual racing crew.
  • Design locating pins so the hull sections align perfectly.

There is also a Coxed Eight rowing boat 3D model on 3D Warehouse that is dimensioned at about 60 feet long and could potentially provide useful geometry for a 1/35 conversion.

I think the Bambu route is probably the best answer for your friend. And at 1/35, it would make an impressive model—about 21 inches long.

Sounds like an interesting project. Let us know how it turns out, whether it is suitable and a photo of the model. I’m sure others would be interested to see it.

Gary