Longest Day GB

Shiv I really love the P38, the invasion stripes are especially well done. I don’t build many aircraft but one was a P38 and I had all kind of problems with alignment. I think yours looks great.

Terry

Bob she’s looking great, I wish I had the stowage when I did mine. The cables look good and the guns are going to be a great addition. I bought the first D Day figures and a Jeep that I was going to add but I just run out of time. Thats going to look real nice on a shelf.

Terry

Terry, thank you. Its nice to get back to some armour, I only did aircraft last year, so now I am trying to make up for it and improve my armour building. I am really happy with this one.

Stik, those sets look really nice, how many troops would that landing craft carry.

Stik is in a meeting at the moment but as his seceretary I would say he’d respond, “About 36.”

I count about that many in here. Doesn’t look too comfortable though.

Bish theres nothing wrong with YOUR armor building, It’s in the details you add, like when I first looked at it I was drawn to the wheels. The grease/dirt/pigments/wash (did I miss any) you added makes it really stand out. Theres a lot of builders here that really go the extra mile to make a really nice build. That front page looks great.

Those are the kits I’m looking for this weekend Stik at the IPMS Dayton show. Hopefully I have some luck!

Yup, BB has the correct answer… 30 something odd guys could be crammed in…

Sardines anyone.

Thanks, so far the wheels have just had a wash, I will add a little oil staining later. But I must say I can only take a part of the credit. A lot of it goes to the guys on here, from whom I have picked up and learnt a lot over the past few years. Until I came back into the hobby and on here in 2008, my model building had not changed all that much in over 20 years. The last 6 years, its come on leaps and bounds.

Cromwell’s pretty close to a wrap. Haven’t decided how much bush is required to make it Panther proof. Did a lot of things new for me so I’ll do a photo build in the armor section. Also post a few pics here of my latest crime against modelling along with some of the genuine article. Also will bore people with some of my thoughts of armor at Normandy.

Eric

Thanks Terry, somehow I missed your post when I was looking through everything last night.

According to my research they could carry up to 36 troops. I don’t know if I’ll be able to have that many troops in my dio, but I’m going to try.

Eric, I do like that. And feel free to bore away.

Bob, I think the full 36 might be to much, it could detract from the landing craft. Thing about dio’s is that sometimes you need to suggest something else is there rather than show it. If the beach is not to big, you can have the last few guys coming off the ramp with a few more going off to the edge of the beach, suggesting the rest have already move up. Those first 2 sets give you 10 figures, I think that would be enough.

Yeah, good point Bish. I shouldn’t post anything until I’ve had my morning coffee.[|-)]

No worries, that’s why we post. I often get ideas from others and when I hear them I kick myself at how I could have missed the obvious.

Eric: Great job there, pretty darn close to the photo you were going off of. I’ve tried just sticking the foliage to the model but the way you’ve added the camo nets and then stuck the foliage into that looks much more like what the crew would have really done.

Bob: I like Bish’s idea about doing figures for the last few guys coming off the ramp, seems more action packed and a lot less work than showing thirty or so men packed shoulder to shoulder!

OK, I know that I could find it somewhere- this is how the US set up their assault teams in LCVPs for Normandy

Well, managed to get a little time to work on the turret today. I even took a step outside my comfort zone and textured the turret. [:O] Here’s a few pics.

I still need to take some 200-grit to knock down some of the high points.

Greg- looking good. What did you use to get that texture?

Great info Stik! Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find any figures at the show I went to today. I’ll try again next month before I scour the internet. That turret is looking pretty sweet pyrman.