You’re welcome. Its not a case of a mottled paint scheme as much as a case of a flaking off paint scheme due to operations and environment.
If I remember correctly, there also has been some writing about Japanese paint not being properly applied to some aircraft - ie. the adherence to metal surfaces, resulting in the ‘shabby’ look. More specifically, some did not bother with the primer stage, for whatever reason.
regards,
Jack
That won’t be a problem. AK Interactives “Worn Effects” is very good at creating those results.
Looking forward very much to see how you achieve that “flaky” look, mc!
Checkmate
Received my kit today in the mail and will start it after I finish the GB’s I’m in right now. Looking forward to this GB as well.

Checkmate-please sign me up with a 1/48 Hobby Boss F4F-4 Wildcat
Thanks
bobbaily: Welcome to this GB, too. Again, very happy to have your participation.
Hunter: Looks good. Hasegawa has done some nice artwork on the box. I remember when all you got was a photo of the finished kit.
Don’t worry about hurrying into it. The start date isn’t until June for Midway; May for Coral Sea, to correspond to the 75th anniversaries of the battles. Plenty of time to plan construction and ogle the parts.
Not surprising, since aircraft aluminum is very hard to get a finish to adhere to it unless it is treated with an etchant or primer.
Good that I don’t have to make up my mind until June. I cannot decide to build my Accurate Minitures 1/48 SBD-3, a 1/700 Akagi, or 1/700 Kaga. Decisions, decisions.
And those are all good choices!
I just grabbed a Tamiya 1/350 Kagero DD kit. Couldn’t wait, started her.
Eighteen of the nineteen in her class were at Midway. Imagine that!
And if you’re willing, GM, please post some photos so we can follow along with your progress.
Great…I have to echo something Steve(MC) stated in the Coral Sea GB. One of the great things about the GB’s is the research and communication between everyone in the GB.
I completely agree, Hunter!
Decided to go with a 1/48 Tamiya Brewster F2A-3 from VMF -221
"The squadron, also known as the “Fighting Falcons”, is most notable for its actions on June 4, 1942, during the Battle of Midway, which resulted in 23 members of the squadron, many posthumously, being awarded the Navy Cross for their actions in combat.
VMF-221 had 21 F2A-3’s and 7 Grumman F4F-3 Wildcats, all of which were essentially worn out “hand-me-downs” from the Navy."
Don’t know how I missed this for so long, tonka! My apologies!
Great that you made your choice, and the front page is now updated with your Brewster.
Thanks!
I would like to particpate in this Group Build. I have a couple projects, Midway related, that will fit in fine.
First is the Great Wall, TBD-1. Second will be Lt. Tomanaga’s B5N2, “Kate”. I also have an F4F “Wildcat”, Mach. Tom Cheek, and an A6M2, markings to be named later…
Thanks for making this one!!
Regards,
Freddie from LI
Welcome to the GB, Freddie! Great to have you with us, and with four projects to contribute! Very good!
Front page is update!
Be advised Checkmate, that the markings on the aircraft pictured on the box, are those from an SBD-3, flown from USS Lexington, at Coral Sea. Pilot was Ens. John Leppla, and gunner was Arm3, John Liska…and they have quite a story behind them and their exploits after their return from attacking IJN Shokaku on 8 May, 1942…
So they are! I’m sure there are plenty of aftermarket markings to take the kit over to Midway.
I have some Starfighter decals in 1/72 for Leppla and Liska’s aircraft, and hope to build it with the GB at some point.