Battle of Midway Group Build, 3 June, 2017 - 7 June, 2018

June 2017 will be the anniversary of the Battle of Midway, 3-7 June, 1942—a notable turning point in World War II in which the Imperial Japanese carrier forces were effectively neutralized for the rest of the war. To mark the event, please consider joining the Battle of Midway Group Build.

Any subject that participated in the battle is welcome, in any scale: aircraft, both carrier-based and land-based; ships; figures; anything stationed on the island of Midway itself.

The GB will run from 3 June, 2017 until 7 June, 2018.

Two alternative group badges are available: one from the Japanese perspective, the other from the U.S. viewpoint. When you complete your project, claim the badge!

Thanks for your interest!

Roster

checkmateking02: Academy 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

Hunter Requiescat in pace : Hasegawa 1/48th SBD3 Dauntless

tonka: Tamiya B1/48 Brewster F2A-3 (from VMF-221)

scottrc: Hasegawa 1/700 Akagi

stikpusher: tentatively TBA

lewbud: Special Hobby 1/72 F2A-3 Buffalo (Capt. William C. Humbert USMC, VMF-221)

modelcrazy: Hasegawa 1/72 Akagi Kate; Airfix A6M2b Akagi Zero; 1/72 Cyber Hobby Aichi D3A Type 99 Val;

GMorrison: Trumpeter 1/144 Gato 1941- updated to SS-237 Trigger; 1/350 Kagero class destroyer

bobbaily: 1/48 Hobby Boss F4F-4 Wildcat

fjs3: Great Wall, TBD-1; B5N2, “Kate” (Lt. Tomanaga); F4F “Wildcat” ( Mach. Tom Cheek); A6M2

Bish: 1/72 Academy TBF-1 Avenger

Goldhammer: 1/32 Trumpeter F4F-4

jeaton01: 1/48 Monogram B-26

rigidrider: 1/32 Revell Grumman F4F Wildcat (VF8, USS Hornet CV8)

damouav: 1/48 Hobby Boss TBF-1C Avenger

modelsinchina: GWH 1/48 TBD-1 Devastator

jugjunkie: 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger

ManCityFan: Tamiya 1/48 F4F

kearsarge: 1/48 Fujimi Aichi D3A

crown r n7: 1/48 Academy SBD-2

Lodni Kranazon: 1/72 Airfix Aichi D3A1 Val

plasticjunkie: Fujimi 1/48 Val

taxtp: Airfix 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

Completed Builds

modelcrazy: Hasegawa 1/72 Akagi Kate–FIRST COMPLETED!

modelcrazy: 1/72 Cyber Hobby Aichi D3A Type 99 Val

modelcrazy: Airfix A6M2b Akagi Zero

And a group photo of Steve’s triplets:

Bish: 1/72 Academy TBF-1 Avenger

rigidrider: 1/32 Revell Grumman F4F Wildcat (VF8, USS Hornet CV8)

plasticjunkie: Fujimi 1/48 Val

scottrc: Hasegawa 1/700 Akagi

ManCityFan: Tamiya 1/48 F4F

checkmateking02: Academy 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

taxtp: Airfix 1/72 F4F-4 Wildcat

jeaton01: 1/48 Monogram B-26

==

Checkmate - I’m in with a Hasegawa 1/48th SBD3 Dauntless

Great badges

Thanks, Hunter. Welcome to the GB. Nice to have another Dauntless!

Im in. Not sure what kit yet.

Welcome to the GB, tonka. When you decide, I will update the roster withs your project. For now, I’ll put you down as “TBD.”

Man, you are killin me, first the Coral Sea, now a Midway GB. I am about 30% into a 1/700 Enterprise done up for Midway, but if that won’t qualify, I am looking hard at either the Akagi or Kaga in 1/700.

Hi, scottrc:

I’m not too fussy about crossovers; either Enterprise or the Japanese carriers would be fine. I still have Tamiya’s Hornet in 1/700, but after Yorktown in the Carrier GB, I’m just not ready to do another one. Maybe later.

When you settle on a project, I’ll update the roster.

If I had not sworn off GBs for the foreseeable future, I’d be in both. But I have too many sidelined projects needing attention for me to start any new builds for awhile. But these two are way too tempting for me. I may jump in near the end of the year, and will certainly peek in to see the work here…

Good to hear from you, stik.

And I know what you mean. I’ve got projects for the 1942 GB and the Star Trek GB under construction right now, plus Bish’s RAF GB coming up in April–now these.

But I thought Coral Sea and Midway were both too important to let pass–and I do like a good US Navy carrier aircraft.

I can add you to the roster with a “TBD,” and if you find time to do something, you can pitch in when you’re ready. I also plan to follow “Bish’s Rule”–and have extensions for those who start before but don’t finish till after the end date.

Put me down as a player to be named later.

Fair enough Check. I have plenty of kits in my stash from both sides that qualify.

lewbud: Welcome! Good to have you participate in the GB. I’ve added you to the roster.

And: I changed “TBD” (to be determined) to “TBA” (to be announced). It was getting to look like everybody was building a Devastator.

Good to hear, stik. I’ll update the roster when you make a final decision.

Check, I’ll jump in here as well. I’ll find somthin.

Welcome to the GB, modelcrazy. Good to have you with us!

Thanks Stick

Actually I can build my Akagi Kate.

Hase 1/72

I’ve been looking for a good excuse to build it.

Sounds good, mc. Roster is updated.

Fancy looking camouflage scheme, there!

That’s the Pearl harbor Hiryu scheme. I’ll have to look when I get home but I think the Akagi scheme is more traditional green…could be wrong though. Either way it’s a cool plane IMO.