1/72 Scale, Arma Hobby Kit, Grumman F4F-4, "Wildcat"

Another 1/72 scale Arma Hobby kit.

Normally I build most of my models in 1/48 or 1/32 scales. Since I had the opportunity to “Expand my horizons” with these awesome kits in 1:72 scale, I can’t seem to get enough of them.

This one, is one of their earlier F4F’s, (Since discontinued as it is seen here, but rereleased with new decals since) and if memory serves, one of the “Expert” sets. Basically, that means it comes with PE and paint masks. Personally I hate PE and avoid it, but there were a couple pieces I did use. The gears in the landing gear bay, the seat harness and I think there were ign wires? (I forget half the time what stuff I used on which kit…pathetic ain’t it?)

The kit is fantastic right from the box. I find that the instruction sheets can be a little, “Fuzzy” to use a word? At first, a little hard to figure out what Arma wants you to do. I advise y’all to take your time and test fit stuff first. You will figure it out fast enough. Trickiest part of the entire kit is the wheel bay. At first, you’re gonna look at it and think, “Who the hell designed this like this?” I assure you, it does work and it’ll make sense.

I painted the model using my own custom mixed Tamiya Acrylics; Blue grey over Light Grey, (standard early war US Navy and USMC scheme). Decals were very good and responded well to the usual popular setting solutions. Markings are those of Capt. joseph J. Foss, VMF-121 based at Henderson Field, Guadalcanal during October and November 1942. Number ‘84’ wasn’t Foss’s assigned aircraft, but he did fly her a number of times, shooting down several Japanese aircraft, at least two of which, were the Mitsubishi A6M ‘Zero’.

Weathering was done using Flory Weathering Washes, AK Weathering Pencils, Tamiya Weathering Powders, thinned oils, pastel chalks and a little post shading. Infini Aero Rigging was used for the aerial.

I can’t say enough about these awesome little kits and I absolutely recommend them. They are not for the feint of heart though, having a little model building experience under one’s belt would be VERY helpful. These aren’t Tamiya kits.










6 Likes

That’s two posts I’ve read and replied to today from us 1/48 scale guys defecting to 1/72. There must be a disturbance in the Force. :joy:

But what a beautiful job you did with this one. Just like the Airacobra I was looking at earlier, if you hadn’t told me it was 1/72 I don’t think I would have guessed it from the photos. The detail and weathering look terrific.

You guys aren’t going to convert me, though. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice build of that Wildcat, like your SBD earlier! The only nitpick I have is the decals seem too clean, but I guess they could be freshly painted. Anyway, what do I know!
Good one!

I must admit that you seem to be using up all your models for the Midway GB. :smiley:

Gary

1 Like

I love building 1:48 scale models as much as the next guy and converting anyone is not something I would do anyway. Expanding your modeling horizon is what I am saying. If your going to foray into 1:72, Tamiya, Eduard and Arma Hobby are the kits to try it with. :wink:

1 Like

On the actual model, they do look dirtier, but you make a valid point; they could be, SHOULD be a little more dirty, considering the theatre of operation it operated from. I will have to address that. I think me using the lightening feature on the pictures made the white ‘POP’ more than it does on the model. I can say with absolute confidence, a photographer I am not.

1 Like

I’m currently building a 1/72 scale P-47D Tamiya kit just to get my feet wet.

For me it’s just good fitting and gluing practice, it definitely won’t be anything like that F4F..

2 Likes

LOL, I was just kidding about you guys trying to convert me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But I do appreciate the recommendations. If I do wander into 1/72 territory, it sounds like I at least know which manufacturers to look at.

Well, I am a photographer, and I can tell you that getting a photograph of a model to actually look like what your eye sees under the lighting you have can be surprisingly challenging. Sometimes the camera sees things very differently than we do.

So I completely understand what you’re saying about the whites popping more in the photos than they do on the actual model.

I finished this one last May, i think? It was a terrific kit and I wound up using Kits World and a set of Superscale Decals to get it over the finish line. It was a nice kit and a lot of fun to build. I’m sure you will do a fine job on yours, providing you can find all the pieces your kitty helped you relocate.

2 Likes