USS Harriet Lane (Pyro Blockade Runner) questions

Yeah, that’s it. I had no idea I was in Wikipedia. There’s nothing legally improper about that; since the moment the Coast Guard paid me for the drawing, it’s been in the public domain. Anybody can reproduce it or make any use of it, anyplace. The only person on the planet who can’t legally make money off it is me - since the government already paid me for it.

There’s a color version on the Coast Guard Historian’s website: www.uscg.mil/…/USRCHarrietLaneColor.jpg . The colors were added (with the help of a very nice and patient lady at a local printing firm) with Photoshop to a copy of the original drawing.

I just noticed a rather noticeable discrepancy between the drawing and the Pyro/Lindberg kit. The drawing shows an eagle for a figurehead. That’s what Merrit Edson’s drawing showed; I don’t know where he got his information, but he was mighty careful with things like that. If I were building a model of her I’d give her an eagle for a figurehead. The Model Shipways kit also has an eagle. But as I recall, the Pyro/Lindberg kit doesn’t.

That kit really is pretty crude - even by the standards of its time (the mid-fifties). But it’s the only plastic one available - and in some ways better detailed than the Model Shipways one. I just can’t reconcile myself to those solid wood paddleboxes with the partial paddlewheels sticking out the bottoms.

By the way - don’t pay much attention to the photos of the completed model on the Model Shipways boxtop or the Modelexpo website. That model is something of a mess. The huge brass chains used for the paddlewheel box trusses and stack guys are way out of scale, as are the jackstays; the rigging is a mess, and the gaff on the mainmast is in the wrong place. (It belongs below the crosstrees.) The MS instruction book, which is available online at the ME website, is much better.